Saturday, July 19, 2008

Hiawassee Fair

Quite recently I attended the Hiawassee fair with my family. It's something that's held biannually; once in the summer and once in the fall.

It's a cute little fair up in (you might have guessed already) Hiawassee. They have a whole bunch of little shack-like booths filled with craft vendors of all sorts, along with the typical fair foods. There's always a couple of bluegrass bands scattered about, and a few artisan reenactors to boot, like a blacksmith or the quilting bee ladies.

This time around I actually took the time to go visit some of the old buildings.

And I took many pictures.
Some were of this barn:

Here's a picture I took while inside the barn:
And inside it had the coolest stall door, with a whole bunch of etchings in it done sometime in the 1930's by the children of the man who once owned the barn.


Inside the place where they were holding the canning and honey competitions they had a wall devoted to pictures of moonshiners:


Farther down in the main exhibit hall, I came across this gorgeous Linotype printing press:




And here are all the little letter blocks:



I now want a Linotype printing press of my very own. Or at least the letter blocks. Definitely want the letter blocks.


I also rode more fair rides than I ever have...probably since I was little. Possibly even more than when I was little.

Apparently I am in one of these barrels. You can't see me, so just use your imagination:


Next post: the flower show! I took tons of pictures of that; I figured I'd end up overwhelming the average person if I posted them along with the all the other pictures I've just put up.

Cheers,

The Bloated Ewe

No comments: