Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Fine Obsession.

Hah.

As of late I've been finding myself knitting and spinning smaller and smaller. Now normally my meat 'n' potatoes as far as knitting and spinning go are somewhere around the worsted/aran weight scale. Knits and spins rather quick. Details such as lacework and cabling shows up quite well. Fair size, but doesn't look like you took the easy route-- the kind of impression that the "bulky weight" often gives.

But now I've been dipping into the sock weight end of the scale more and more frequently. I'm knitting the daintiest of socks on size 1 US needles and spinning the finest singles I have *ever* spun as of yet.

Here's the sock I'm currently knitting, using the Slippery Sock pattern, courtesy of knitty.com.




And here's the roving I'm spinning, using a lovely chocolate rambouillet-finn cross I attained through a fellow spinner's de-stash effort.



Well, that obsession is now fading, and I've found myself with a megaspool's worth of an insanely fine single and half of a pair of socks.

I don't want to suffer from both Second Sock Syndrome AND have a ball of an un-plied single floating around. I'm thinking of giving the roving a rest and maybe dying up some new stuff to be spun really chunky and crazy, while I continue knitting my socks. They're a lovely, crazy colour combo of tropical limes and turquoise and fiery reds and oranges, but I swear, once I finish with those I'm off to knit something truly demented.

Off to work on that sock.
-The Bloated Ewe

No comments: