Monday, August 11, 2008

Blueberry Pickin'

A few days ago my family and I found out about a local person who has a sort of blueberry U-Pick-Em. We called him up for directions and time, and he told us to come whenever we want, and that he basically has an honor system for the blueberry sales-- a tip jar located on a table in front of the field-- so there was no need to concern ourselves with whether there'd be someone there or not.

The money goes to a charity that helps orphans in Belarus, so really, you'd have to be quite a lout not to pay up regardless of whether anyone's watching or not.

We arrived early in the morning, before the sun was harsh. I still brought my hat, of course. Despite my usual hatred for doing anything before 8:00 (including waking up), I still had enough of my wits about me to remember to take my cameras, digital point 'n' shoot as well as my clunkier, more professional, manual Pentax K1000. In my opinion, though, all the greenery looked far better with my simple point 'n' shoot, so that's what I used to take most of the pictures.

Here's how a small family-owned blueberry field looks in the morning.


Here's what some of the blueberry stems looked like, all grey and hazy.


Look at how colourful blueberries can be.



Here's my sister, Bebe, and my brother, David, picking blueberries.


You can see the table with the buckets in the backround.

We're still drowning in blueberries, despite Mom's incessant canning.

More adventures to come soon?....

-The Bloated Ewe

No comments: